Barcelona Cathedral, in the Gothic Quarter, is one of the city’s most iconic landmarks.
The seat of the archbishopric of Barcelona, it is renowned for its stunning architecture which has earned it a place on the Asset of Cultural Interest and National Monument of Historic and Artistic Importance registers.
The cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulàlia
, commonly known as Barcelona Cathedral, pays tribute to Saint Eulàlia, the city’s ancient patron saint.
In 303 AD, Roman soldiers tortured Saint Eulàlia to death, when she was just 13, for refusing to renounce her Christian faith. Her remains lie in a crypt inside the cathedral.
A number of Christian churches have stood on the site since the 4th century AD. A Romanesque-style church was consecrated here in 1058 and the Gothic church was begun in 1298. Building work on the current cathedral was funded by contributions from the bourgeoisie and more modest worshippers. It took 150 years and was completed in the 19th century.
During your visit you’ll be able to see all the architectural and artistic gems inside the cathedral. Highlights include the choir stalls, roof, cloisters, the chapterhouse
(with its important works of art including the Desplà Pietà) and beautiful chapels, like the ones dedicated to Saint Mark and Our Lady of Mercy.
To round off your visit, don’t miss the breathtaking views of the city from the cathedral roof
!What does your booking include?
- Admission to the choir stalls + access to the rooftop + chapterhouse + virtual audioguide.
- Monday to Friday: from 9.30am to 6.30pm (last wing access at 5.45pm).
- Saturdays and festive vigils: from 9.30am to 5.15pm (last wing access at 4.30pm).
- Sundays and public holidays: from 2pm to 5pm (last wing access at 4.30pm)
: Barcelona Cathedral, Pla de la Seu, s/n. Metro L4: Sant Jaume I. Buses: V15, V19 and 59.
- Barcelona cathedral is a place of worship.
- Out of respect for others, please wear appropriate clothing.
- Please remove your hat or any head coverings when entering.
- Please speak quietly inside the cathedral.
- Groups must use a wireless audio tour guide system to ensure noise levels remain low.
- If a religious service is being held, please remain silent and be respectful.
- No pets are allowed, except for assistance dogs.
Customer services provider: CATEDRAL DE BARCELONA