CaixaForum, the Museum and Cultural Centre of “La Caixa” Community Projects, is housed in one of Barcelona’s landmark buildings, the Casaramona textile mill, a jewel of industrial modernista architecture designed by Josep Puig i Cadafalch.
CaixaForum offers a wide range of events with a broad appeal: exhibitions of ancient, modern and contemporary art, which make CaixaForum one of Barcelona's most dynamic, active and vibrant venues. Exhibitions devoted to international artists, together with concerts, film screenings, debates and lectures, performing-arts events, sessions about literature and contemporary thought, multimedia art and family activities make the old factory a key attraction.
In addition to this, CaixaForum has opened an exhibition space and is running a series of guided tours, entitled Modernisme-Modernity. Tours of the Former Modernista Factory
, which reveal the hidden details of the former textile mill. The exhibition gives us an insight into the history of the building and the figure of Josep Puig i Cadafalch, who, along with Domènech i Montaner
and Antoni Gaudí
, was one of the leading lights of modernista architecture.Exhibitions 2019/2020
- Opera. Passion, power and politics. From 19/9/19 to 26/1/2020.
- Camera and the city. Urban life in photography and film. From 31/10/2019 to 8/03/2020.
- Oggetti del desiderio. Surrealismo e design. From 28/02/2020 to 7/06/2020.
- Arte e mito. Gli dei del Prado. From 14/4/2020 to 26/10/2020.
- Vampiri. L’evoluzione del mito. From 8/7/2020 to 25/10/2020.
- So lazy. Elogio dello spreco. From 17/7/2020 to 15/11/2020.
The building has facilities for visually and hearing impaired visitors, people with reduced mobility and wheelchair users. There are lifts to all areas included on the visit.
- Address: Av. Ferrer i Guàrdia, 6-8.
- Town: 08038 Barcelona.
- Phone: 934 768 600
- Web site: www.laCaixa.es/ObraSocial
- How to get there: Metro L1 and L3 stop Plaça Espanya.| Bus: 9, 13, 23, 27, 37, 46, 50, 65, 79, 91, 109, D20, H12 and V7.| Trains FGC: stop Plaça Espanya.| Barcelona Bus Turístic: stop CaixaForum-Pavelló Mies van der Rohe.
- Opening time:
- Daily, from 10am to 8pm. | Wenesdays during July and August, from 10am to 11pm. | January 5th, December 24th and 31st, from 10am to 6pm. January 1st and 6th and December 25th, closed.
- Services: Car park, café, restaurant and bookshop.
Customer services provider: CAIXAFORUM BARCELONA