Discover the history of a people who played a key role in culture during the Middle Ages.
A journey through time that will let you discover Barcelona’s Jewish quarter, El Call.
The first records documenting the existence of Jewish communities in Catalonia datefrom the 9thcentury, although we know that the diaspora that saw them scattered throughout the Mediterranean began in 70 AD.
This walking tour will give you an insight into the history of the Jews in Barcelona over the centuries. You’ll find out about their customs, diet, celebrations… through the documents that have been preserved and on a tour of the two areas of the Jewish quarter, the Call Mayor and Menor, and the El Call Interpretation Centre.
You’ll learn about the history of illustrious personalities, including the rabbi Solomon ben Adret, the founder of the Talmudic school in Barcelona, and sages and philosophers, such as Moses ben Nahman.
And to end the tour, your guide will tell you about the tragic expulsion of the Jews from the kingdoms of Castile and Aragon.What does your booking include?
- Guided* walking tour of Barcelona’s Jewish quarter, El Call.
- Admission to and guided tour of the El Call Interpretation Centre (MUHBA).
*Guide with a RASGO certificate from the Network of Spanish Jewish Quarters, Routes of Sefarad.
*Guided with a certificate in Judaism through its scripturesfrom Harvard University.
: Sunday, from 12:30pm to 2pm.Languages
: 1 hour and 30 minutes.Meeting Point
: Cathedral's staircase (plaça Nova). Metro: L4, Jaume I stop. Bus: 47, 120 and V15.
- Passengers must arrive at the meeting point 10 min.before departure time.
- Face masks must be worn for the full duration of the tour and the mouth and nose kept covered.
- Please observe social distancing for the full duration of the tour.
- Tours are guaranteed and will take place even if it is raining or the weather is bad.
Customer services provider: OH MY GUIDE! BARCELONA