A church has stood on this site close to the city’s waterfront since the early 13th century. Rebuilt in the baroque style, the magnificent basilica of La Mercè was the first convent in the city to house a community of the Order of Our Lady of Mercy.
Riosta Barcelona will reveal one of the landmarks that is an absolute must in order to understand the city’s history and to provide us with the keys to understanding its rich artistic and architectural heritage.
We invite you to visit one of Barcelona’s most beautiful 18th-century buildings, a landmark that put Catalan architecture on a par with the leading European movements of the day. Led by your guide, you will walk between the tall marble columns, admire the organ, the carvings, the beautiful gilded altarpiece and the paintings that adorn the building. Discover the iconic building in what was Barcelona’s most elegant and dynamic neighbourhood during the baroque era. What does your booking include?
- Guided tour of the church + chamber above the altar + galleries + organ + chapel of the Descent.
: Saturday at 11am, Catalan or Spanish on alternate Saturdays.Length
: 50 minutes.Meeting point
: entrance to Basílica de la Mercè. Plaça de La Mercè, 1. Metro: L4, Jaume I stop or L3, Drassanes stop. Bus: 17, 19, 40 and 45.
- The tour involves climbing steps and is not adapted.
- We recommend you wear comfortable clothing.
- The route may vary if religious services are being held.
- The basilica of La Mercè is a place of worship listed as a Cultural Landmark of Local Interest (BCIL). Please be respectful when inside the building and during religious services.
Customer services provider: RIOSTA BARCELONA