The Museu del Modernisme, it is housed in a former textile factory in the centre of Barcelona, and offers visitors the chance to enjoy a cultural centre dedicated exclusively to modernista art.
The holdings of the new Museu del Modernisme de Barcelona come from the private collection that two Barcelona antique dealers, Fernando Pinós and María Guirao, have amassed during their 40 years in the business. The museum is dedicated exclusively to Catalonia's home-grown art-nouveau movement, modernisme. The collection on shows consists of 350 works by 42 of the most representative modernista artists, including Joan Busquets, Ramón Casas, Antoni Gaudí, Gaspar Homar, Josep Llimona, Joaquim Mir and Puig i Cadafalch, in their different disciplines: painting, sculpture, furniture and the decorative arts
The Museu de Modernisme de Barcelona is housed in a centrally located modernista building designed by the architect Enric Sagnier. The Catalan vaults were restored and the original flooring on the ground floor preserved as part of the refurbishment project to house the museum. It has a floor space of 1,000m2. The top floor of the Museu showcases the furniture and decorative arts and has a room dedicated to Antoni Gaudi. The ground floor displays paintings, sculptures and stained glass.Temporary exhibitions
- Cusachs, the militia and art.
*Free admission from 28th June to 29 September 2019.
- Address: Balmes, 48.
- Town: 08007 Barcelona.
- Phone: 932 722 896
- Web site: www.mmcat.cat
- How to get there: Metro: L2, L3 and L4 stop Passeig de Gràcia; L1 and L2 stop Universitat. Bus: 7, 63, 67, 68 and V15. Train Renfe: stop Passeig de Gràcia.
- Opening time:
- Tuesday to Saturday, from 10.30am to 2pm and 4pm to 7pm. Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, closed. | Closed: January 1st and 6th, May 1st and December 6th, 8th, 25th and 26th, 11 and 25 September, 12 October and 1st November.
- Reduced ticket: over 65 years old, official disability certificate and up to 25.
- Free admission from 28th June to 24 July 2019.
Customer services provider: MM - MUSEU DEL MODERNISME DE BARCELONA